Thursday, September 2, 2010

I don't think you know me, I don't think I know me.

What makes me different from any other student? Nothing. I’m one of the many people returning to education to better their situations.

Youngest of eight, born within the sixth month, just shy of the sixth day in the hours of six-ish; I was brought into this world with an evil smile on my face. Twisted, congealed in my beliefs, I am determined; foolish yet feisty, I am eager….

I started babysitting when I was six, grew into a blueberry rake, burned my way to a fry vat, served myself right into a bar and counted my tips all the way to an accounting office; ten years behind a desk - I was missing the outside world, so I sang, “The hills are alive” to my boss as I walked out the door and into the gardens of my present employer. It’s been a long road, with a lot learned. I am a Jane of all trades (and a master of none).

Engaged at 19, spent my 21st birthday pregnant (unable to enjoy that first legal drink) and graduated into my 30’s knocked up again; life has been that rollercoaster ride but it’s been a somewhat fair ride that’s not over yet.

However, those stars shot themselves through the sky in vain, uncaught wishes left me with a bit of a bitter taste - skip the tale, the white night and the fairy godmother and just make the dreams come to life. If only that simple.

I thought I knew where I was going with this educational opportunity but honestly I’m still quite clueless; my head steers me in one direction and my passion in another. I know what I like, I know what I want but I still need to learn what I can do.

I’m at Eastern Maine Community College as a Liberal Studies student, the plan is to eventually transfer to University of Maine; will I get that far or switch gears and take the road “less traveled”1 …only time will tell.




__________________________________________
1 “The Road not Taken” by Robert Frost

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I question myself a lot. After clicking the ‘post’ button I instantly thought “Geesh Steph - way to sound like a pessimist! You set a tone alright. Those sample stories were on the positive side (glad someone’s cup is half full). Why did you add in that line from Frost??? Goodness Steph really? If you are going to write late at night (well now early in the morning) don’t go and post it! Can’t you just smell the rewrite already!”

    Then this thought was followed with, “So what. Not everyone is a freaking 'care bear' seeing only the sunny side of life. Sometimes honesty is just that honesty - without the rainbows. Leave it and walk away. It’s not so bad.”

    Ha ha - wow, talk about multiple personalities, little men on my shoulders…where’s my flyswatter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, the post is first class and the meta-post, the comment on the post, is even better. Frost could not possibly be in better company than you today.

    Graf 3, in particular, is a real corker, but the whole piece reads as if written in a rush of positive emotion (positive about the writing) and writerly confidence. You knew exactly what you were doing and had control of all your effects here.

    I'm grateful that we've been around the block in 101 and you know me well enough to post like this--and what a title!

    ReplyDelete