Thursday, September 23, 2010

Freak outs for Week 1 - Nature

Ok....so, here are my first thoughts when I read about week 1:

When I arrived home today I thought, “oh god, my yard smells so bad like crap”. We have goats, geese, ducks, bunnies, chickens…I could go on; we have a farm. In addition, two flourishing gardens all on a beautiful ten acre lot of land; so, why can’t I think of something to write about for our ‘nature’ topic?

I love hiking, swimming, fishing, canoeing, kayaking and I just finished my hunters safety course this Spring; nothing nature-istic (I know that’s not a word) comes to mind.

I’ve seen one person born into this world and watched three people leave it. I’ve raised baby bunnies, baby birds, baby ducks, chickens and turkeys and more…. What am I going to write about?!?

***************

Then I thought: What about telling the story of when I saw my nephew being born! Can't really call this much of anything because as soon as I started it - I didn't like where it was going:

I Was (not) a Teen Mom

The cramps were excruciating, doubled over in my buddies Ford 150 on my way to work; popping Midol and chasing them with Pepsi - in hopes to make it through the day…that’s some pretty darn good work ethics for a fifteen year old.

He was like my own big cuddly bear, six years my elder, 6’1, and sexually sensational.

**********

So, then I thought....why not a bit about my garden, my marriage and the book I've been reading (ya...the Bible. Me reading it? Well....that's another story) So I got going with this which I actually didn't mind and I think I could still work with but for another topic/week:


“And there was evening and there was morning, one day.” (Genesis 1:3)

A plot of land, 16x24, grass, comfrey and a dream. A tiller rumbles to life and rips the grass up by its’ roots, the comfrey twists into the blades and mulches into the earth; a vision in the making.

Part time jobs, a 1991 mobile home, dishes from mum, beanbag chairs and a dream. A baby lets out her first breath in a shrieking cry; we were young, not quite so dumb and not quite so full of…well lets just say - two children later - we were a family in the making.

“And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.” (Genesis 1:8)

Several sections of rejected stockade wood fencing for a border; some tossed out decking boards, a post hole digger, hammer and nails for raised beds - we burrowed and pounded into the night.

Appliances bought on-time to make the kitchen usable; discarded mattresses from Mardens piled on the particle board flooring, cleaning supplies, a broom and dustpan - we scrubbed and settled ourselves into our new digs.

“And there was evening and there was morning, a third day.” (Genesis 1:13)

We dickered for a deal on soil, we shoveled - loaded and unloaded - wheel barrel after wheel barrel to fill the beds. We bartered for basil, rosemary, chives, and sorrel; pumpkin, sunflower and cucumber seeds we had; strawberries, celery, and lettuce came in trade. Rhubarb, tomatillos and nasturtiums were a gift.

What was it Daddy told me about gardening? Mumma knew the ins and outs of marriage and family…what was her advice again?

****

But is just wasn't working....or I just didn't give it enough of a chance - not sure...

The truth is - there has been so much going on in my life lately - that I can't seem to make heads or tails of some of it and right now honesty (non-fiction) means dealing with or coming to terms with certain things...and I'm not quite ready for that...but pushing on just the same - so we'll see.

I can already tell I will regret clicking the 'post' button.... I have tons of things saved in my word documents that are starts to pieces (I'm sure we all do) so it's odd to expose/share them.

Sometimes I wish you did a class on poetry.

The toast is burnt, the skin is fried; it's all a dream, you have not lied. Two by two, they are little and white; play pretend, turn your head, it doesn't make it right. Convice me not, you've played your game; I'm in the wrong and I'm to blame. Left is wrong and black is blue; whisper no more sweet things, I will tell you no lies too.
*****

Drama. Drama Queens. Queens, New York. New York, Broadway. Broadway, Drama.

Salt is best kept in the shaker, coffee in the pot, food in the belly, hair on the head.

Lets leave things where they belong (or at the very least - work best).

4 comments:

  1. I didn't spell check or anything like that...this is just raw - cut and pasted it here.

    Feeling a bit ill.... Considering deleting it. Well, I'll go work on the other papers and come back to this if I don't fall asleep.

    Oh I should mention all of this was not considered for week 1 (like the last two bits: rhyming stuff...) this is just some of the stuff that goes through my head - daily (rephrase) hourly...I could even go on to say by the minute - heck I'm just talking to myself now. You are going to read (scan if your smart) this and think...what was she spewing out - blogger isn't her journal, if I had wanted to read her diary I would be like the pea beneath the mattress right now. (adult ADD - maybe, scatter brain - more likely)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't look for me to be doing poetry anytime soon.... I like a lot of this, can see how it might have comet together into a piece...funny coincidence but I'm reading Genesis myself right now--I'm just done with the non-sacrifice of Isaac. There's a lot of be-fruitful and multiply stuff you touch on here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interesting coincidence that you are reading Genesis too - I would be curious to know why you are... The reasons are all so different - I find it pretty neat to hear. My plans were to read it from cover to cover but I'm finding myself jumping around from book to book. Just finished the Book of Ruth and now working on John.

    Aaah not a fan of poetry are ya? ha ha

    I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking..."oh god Stephanie go out and delete that foolishness before he reads it" but I was too tired to move. Thanks for not being to harsh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christian religion is always fascinating to me and to understand it, one has to start with the Old Testament. I'm about to listen to a college course on disk about Genesis (and then one on the Gospels) so I figured I'd better do my homework first. I've read the Bible cover to cover a long time ago and Genesis several times before, but I always find new things and have different reactions. It's nearly impossible these days for me to read something and not think what I'd comment if it were a student piece--and that is what I am thinking as I read it today: some serious writing problems and confusing bits maybe should be cleared up.... And how about dropping a few of those begats?

    I read the King James Version, but have a book showing a half-dozen translations side by side.

    ReplyDelete