Friday, September 25, 2009

Week 4 Theme

Week 4 Theme

Part 1:

I’m sitting here, at my laptop, trying to do my assignment. I can’t think. I have a cold. Luckily, the house is almost completely quiet; the kids are asleep still and the dogs are keeping my feet warm. I will continue to try.

Part 2:

I’m sitting here, perched in my thinking chair, at my laptop, attempting my Creative Non-Fiction writing assignment. Clouded with an abundance of mucus, overwrought with extreme sinus pressure, I can not think. The season is upon us for colds, an Oak leaf did not land upon me when I stood beneath her limbs, and I have not been missed. I have succumbed to the inevitable; I have been touched by my first cold of the season.

My head is hot, yet no drops of perspiration can be found. Feeling chilled to the bone; icicles for fingers, frozen oranges for knees, feet as cold as a corpse - my dogs sense this discomfort, and move to curl their warm bodies around my ankles; I am warmed.

The slight breeze unhinges leaves outside my window, they tap their ‘good mornings’ to me, this is the only sound I hear.

Enjoying the peaceful morning, with my newly warmed feet, I reach for the box of Puffs and tuck the tissues between myself and my thinking chair, with one tissue torn, rolled and stuffed up into a nostril – I lean forward, resting my forearms on my laptop and continue to try.

Part 3:

A bed of nails would be more comforting then this electric chair that I have been strapped to; a dark lord has brought forth a frightening buzzing, glowing device and has instructed me to please him with words.

My body screams from with-in of the agony it had endured all week long, a week that has felt endless – centuries long. I have been tortured beyond repair.

With the aid of his hired minions, the dark lord demanded I be weakened. Eagerly with deadly hunger, they attacked me from many angles, all at once, and I could not escape.

First my head, loud noises erupted within inches of my face and I felt my skull being sawed in two; lifting my scalp, cracking the bone, a hole was drilled – stuffed with maggots and resealed. The maggots multiplied at an ungodly rate and filled all voids in my skull to the brim. Massive pressure prevented me from seeing all that His minions were doing. Jaded, the maggots attempted to slither out my nose; their attempts were thwarted as 36 grit sandpaper was stuffed into my nostrils to seal up their escape hatch.

Then my body, I was temporarily released from the binding straps of the electric chair, pummeled with gallons of water and thrown into a chest freezer. Almost instantly I began to freeze and thinking I might die, I heard a faint whisper of hope, a small clacking of sorts and only moments before what I thought was to be my untimely demise, the top was lifted. Two great beasts reached for me – a gentle aura glowed brightly around their lush, warm fur…I was lifted and slowly warmed with their affection and generosity but it only lasted a moment. The dark lord sensed this kindness within his region and aspirated swarms of fire ants in their direction with each word he spoke; I could not hear his words but I could see them, black and white before me.

His cronies raced past him, snatched me from my gentle giants and returned me to that cold, hard chair; tightening the straps until blood supply had been cut from various limbs.

So, here I sit, with the glowing device mounted to the blank wall before me, and my dark lord beckoning for me to continue on.

4 comments:

  1. Stephanie I think everyone that has ever suffered a cold/flu can relate to this. However, there were times when it was so graphic, I thought I was going to hurl. lol Good job once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, stephanie, I do look for over-the-top in version 3 bu this sounds more like Armageddon than a cold (that's a compliment to the writing!) Funny--or at least funny as long as it's happening to you, not me.

    You bring the three versions along very nicely, adding, enhancing, and going totally delightfully bonkers in 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That 3 sits very nicely on the more rational foundation of 1 & 2 and then you go totally delightfully bonkers in version 3 which is what I hope for--because you never know how much is enough til you know how much is too much. Who knew that a simple cold could turn into Armageddon???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two versions thanks to blogger issues--wanna try for three?

    ReplyDelete