Sunday, September 6, 2009

Week 1: Know thyself...Walk in someone else's shoes.

Once I saw something I thought was unusual in a movie, I believe it was “Ya Ya Sisters”, anyhow, in the movie a women was having an uncommon (or maybe it’s common) drink for breakfast. The drink looked like tomato or V8 juice, with a bit of alcohol and a celery stalk oh and I think hot sauce or something like that. I remember wondering why she would want to drink that for breakfast, I’ve always thought of booze as a late night, once in a while, just for fun sort of drink – not a good morning lets get tipsy type of beverage.

Well, time marches on…..

Last night we took the kids to the Blue Hill Fair, spent six or so hours traipsing through crowds in dust and muck, spending an ungodly amount of money on tickets (plus their added gas charge) for my son to ride four rides (almost five rides – but that’s another story), sitting up in the grandstand to watch a blueberry pie eating contest (the fist I’d ever seen), a vehicle stunt show (with some terribly awful jokes) and munching on the fair foods – good fun for all.

I could go on in much greater detail because some of this was so out of the ordinary and worthy of writing in more details but it will have to wait for another time...

Throughout the majority of those six hours I carried my 18 month old daughter, yes – we had a stroller but what kid wants to ride in a stroller when all they get to see are dozens of strangers tushes. No – no – she wanted to be carried and not just by anyone, it needed to be mumma (I felt honored at first). I suppose the adrenalin of the night prevented me from feeling the pain that comes from carrying around an extra 25 pounds for six hours but this morning….I feel it.

I’m not a huge drinker and I did not have any last night, yet I feel as though I’ve awoken with a massive hangover. My right eye does not want to fully open due to the congested pain I feel in my right eyebrow. My forehead crinkles in thanks to the morning sun, I wince and put on my shades. I understand a whole new meaning to "Splitting headache". There is a cement block (or so it seems) in the place that used to be my shoulder blades and my neck is a frightfully strong, unbendable metal rod…the rest of the aches and pains seem miniscule in comparison.

So, I suppose the world works in mysterious ways. Why did I wonder about that lady in the movie enjoying her morning booze.... was this some higher power at work placing me in a situation that was a learning experience…to walk in anothers' shoes...judge not – less ye be judged…well, it worked because right now – all I want….is one of those drinks.

5 comments:

  1. So, imagine this is working up to being a piece for a magazine. Right now you have 487 words but the editor only wants 300. I'm not asking for a rewrite, but before you could even start your edit what would you cut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 4th paragraph would be my first cut, the one that starts with "I could go on...". I would change some of my wording, for example, I would not insult the stunt show (ie: terrible jokes) I would use another description. After that I'm not sure, I suppose I would just keep fine tuning it until it seemed right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, now that I reread it some more I would probably even cut out more about the fair and just get to the point of what's causing the pain and focus on just that instead of the other details like the tickets and the price of them and such. I guess it would all depend on what magazine it was and what type of article they were looking for to determine what my focus would be on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I would probably even cut out more about the fair and just get to the point of what's causing the pain and focus on just that instead of the other details like the tickets and the price of them and such."

    It's a mother's magazine and it's a series about the hidden dangers of mothering, so, yep, that's the stuff I'd cut too. OTOH, there's a lot good about meandering around a topic (like meandering around a fair), laying out various interesting items before settling on one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way Steph, that drink is a blood mary and they are very good for curing a hangover. lol

    ReplyDelete